Saint Philomena School is a nationally recognized Catholic independent school in Portmouth, Rhode Island. Each day we welcome over 427 boys and girls from Preschool through Grade 8. Our students come from 22 cities and towns in Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts.
While our campus has evolved over the years to enhance our student experience, our student-centered and mission-driven philosophy of education has never wavered. We began as a one-building school in 1953, serving seven children from the neighborhood. Today, we showcase a 26.4 acre school campus with six buildings, sports fields, playgrounds, beautiful open space and the shores of Narragansett Bay in our backyard.
- Total Enrollment: 427
- Girls: 205
- Boys: 222
- The average class size varies from 18-24 with two classroom sections per grade. Traditionally, class sizes are smaller in our earliest grades and gradually increase as we welcome new friends throughout the journey between elementary and middle school.
- Teaching faculty: 32
- Percentage of faculty with advanced degrees: 59%
- Total faculty & staff: 53
- No. of acres: 26.4
- Facilities: 6
- Beach and water access
- Learning Common:
- Library (14,000+ volumes) & Technology Center
- Nature Trail
- Outdoor Amphitheatre
- Soccer / Lacrosse Field
- Two Outdoor Tennis/Basketball Courts
- Preschool & Pre-K Playground
- "Big Kid" Playground
- Gaga ball court
- Prayer garden
- Extensive outdoor campus to encourage student movement and play
St. Philomena School is located in Portsmouth, Rhode Island on Narragansett Bay.
- Distance to Newport: 6 miles
- Distance to Fall River: 10 miles
- Distance to Providence: 20 miles
- Distance to Boston: 50 miles
- 8:45 A.M. TO 3:10 P.M.
- Morning Drop Off: 8:30-8:45 AM
- Afternoon Pick Up: 3:10-3:30 PM
EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM
- Before school : 7:30 to 8:30 A.M.
- After school: 3:30 to 5:30 P.M.
- Cost of program: $5/hr
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- cross country
- After School Activities & Programs
- There is an extensive After-School Activities Program with approximately six sessions per year; most sessions run five weeks. Activities include various intramural athletic, educational and cultural experiences.
Free school bus transportation is provided by the Rhode Island cities and towns of Little Compton, Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth and Tiverton. All other children are transported to St. Philomena School by their families, some of whom may participate in carpools.
Textbooks are provided by the school.
WHERE GRADUATES GO AFTER SAINT PHILOMENA SCHOOL
Bishop Stang, Portsmouth Abbey, Saint George's School, Prout School, St. Mary Academy - Bay View, Bishop Hendricken High School, Tabor Academy, LaSalle Academy, Saint Raphael Academy, Bishop Connolly High School, Diman Regional Vo-Tech, Bishop Feehan High School, Portsmouth High School, Middletown High School, Rogers High School, Moses Brown, Wheeler School